Affiliate Disclaimer – We earn from qualifying purchases.
Buying and selling digital assets like Bitcoin and Ethereum all require similar processes, security, and personal responsibility to best secure your cryptocurrency. Convert ETH to CAD.
How You Can Buy Ethereum in Canada
- Set up a Canadian crypto exchange account
- Set up an Ethereum wallet
- Buy & send Ethereum from exchange to your wallet
1. Where to Buy Ethereum: A Crypto Exchange
A cryptocurrency exchange is where you buy and sell Ethereum in Canada.
Funding and deposit options: INTERAC e-Transfer, wire transfer or bank draft are the easiest ways to transfer funds between your Bank account and the crypto exchange.
Payment options like credit cards and Paypal don’t work for most exchanges and banks. E-transfer is the easiest and cheapest way for most Canadians to transfer funds.
There is a fee (spread) for this exchange, rates will vary.
Exchanges and banks in Canada comply with KYC (Know Your Customer) Laws. This means you will need to upload a photo ID and other documentation to verify your identity before you buy Ethereum.
- Newton – Recommended for beginners. Low fees, easy to use, and lots of altcoins to buy and sell. Some users report signing up and the verification process can take time.
- Shakepay – Recommend for beginners. Easily buy and sell Bitcoin or Ethereum only. Set up limit buys / sells or recurring bitcoin purchases.
- NDAX – Recommended for buying and selling larger amounts. Buy Bitcoin with USDT or USDC trade pair.
- Netcoins – Netcoins is the first publicly owned crypto trading platform in Canada. Buy Bitcoin with UD dollars from your Canadian bank account.
- Bitbuy – Join the only Regulated Cryptocurrency Marketplace in Canada. Low fees & top security at Bitbuy® when you buy Bitcoin, Ethereum & more.
- VirgoCX – Buy Bitcoin, Ethereum and other Cryptocurrencies with competitive pricing, commission-free trading, convenient funding options, and 24/7 live support.
- Coinsmart – Trade Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash as easily as Altcoins like Solana, Stellar, Cardano and EOS with CoinSmart.
2. Set up Your Wallet
A cryptocurrency wallet is software that allows you to securely store, send and receive digital assets.
You can start with a Software Wallet (hot) to hold the keys to your Ethereum. Some popular and trusted wallets are Exodus, Trust Wallet, and Metamask.
IMPORTANT! Backup Your Wallet with a Seed Phrase
A seed phrase is 12 or 24 simple words the computer randomly generates for you. This is used to backup your crypto funds and allows you to regain access to your funds if something happens to your wallet.
Write your seed phrase on a piece of paper to back up your wallet. Put it somewhere very safe.
3. Send Ethereum from Exchange to Your Wallet
SEND your Ethereum from the exchange to your wallet RECEIVE address.
What is Ethereum?
Ethereum is a global, open-source platform for decentralized applications. In other words, the vision is to create a world computer that which anyone can build applications in a decentralized manner; while all states and data are distributed and publicly accessible.
Ethereum supports smart contracts in which developers can write code in order to program digital value.
Vitaly Dmitriyevich “Vitalik” Buterin is a Russian-born Canadian programmer and writer who is best known as one of the co-founders of Ethereum. Read his blog.
Is it legal to buy Ethereum in Canada?
Best Exchanges to Buy / Sell Ethereum
Lowest fees: NDAX
Easy to use: Shakepay
Best Overall: Newton
You may also be interested in: How to buy Dogecoin in Canada
HowToBuyBitcoin101.com is basic how-to crypto guides, reviews, and information for beginners to get started with cryptocurrency in Canada. Personal investment disclosure: I am long BTC & ETH. I take profits when I feel like it. I trade altcoins in hot markets. NOT investment advice. Investing in cryptocurrency is risky. Do your own research.
Seen in: Finbold, CoinMarketCap, and TheBitTimes.com